Please note that this page is about the original diagnostic tool provided by vehicle manufacturer. The tool can be usually bought only by authorised dealer. The page is intended only for educational purposes.
All mentioned names and rights belong to the owner.
SD3 DIAGNOSTICS SYSTEM
Minimum system requirements
The PC where the basic SD3NET software and Diagnostics Software are to be installed should have the following minimum system requirements:
· Pentium® processor (>800 MHz);
· 256 Mb RAM;
· Free space on Hard Disk: 850 Mb;
· SVGA 16-bit color video card, 1024x768, small font;
· Keyboard, mouse and color monitor;
· One free communication line of the following types.
o One RS232C serial port;
o One USB port.
o Ethernet 10/100 network card.
o Wireless connection.
· CDROM player;
· Microsoft® Windows® XP Home or Professional (suggested) (Service pack 1) or Windows 98 SE/ME (Service Pack 1) or Microsoft® Windows® 2000 (Service pack 4)
· Internet Explorer® 6.0(Service pack 1).
The SD3 Diagnostic System is supplied with a suitcase containing:
· SD3 Tester;
· Serial cable for SD3/SD2 connection to PC (SD3-CBL01) ;
· Multimeter cable (SD3-CBL02) ;
· Power supply feeder (SD3-CBL05) ;
· EOBD SD3 diagnosis cable (SD3-CBL06) ;
· Diagnosis cable with SD2 bridle (SD3-CBL07) ;
· Connection cable for feeding among SD2 and SD3 bridle (SD3-CBL08) ;
· Cigar lighter socket feeder (SD3-CBL09) ;
· ISO 1 extension (SD3-CBL10) ;
· ISO 2 extension (SD3-CBL11) ;
· SD2 B-CAN adapter (SD3-CBL12);
· USB cable ;
· 10/100 Mbps Ethernet cross-over cable ;
· SD3 wireless board;
· SD3 Manual ;
· SD3 Quick Reference;
· Installation CD-ROM ;
· 8 metal-point rods for Multimeter.
· PC USB/Wireless board
SD3 diagnostics system presentation
The SD3 Diagnostics System is an electronic device for the diagnostics of electronic control units
(ECU) installed in modern vehicles.
The SD3 diagnostics system is a palmtop device with a backlit color LCD display and a membrane keypad with twenty keys; it is also equipped with:
· three standard RS232C serial lines;
· six standard ISO9141 / CARB / KEYWORD 2000 serial lines;
· two standard CAN serial lines
· multimeter in volts (up to 200 V d.c.) and Ohm (up to 1 Mohm)
It can be interfaced to a PC containing the software required to update the ECU diagnostics software through one of the following lines:
· standard RS232C serial line,
· USB serial line
· Ethernet 10/100Mbit network
· Ethernet Wireless 802.11b network
For better efficiency and faster data transfer between the PC and the SD3 unit, we suggest you use the USB line or an Ethernet/Wireless network for communications.
Warning, the SD3 Tester keypad can be used as remote control for the PC software for all communications lines except the serial lines.
The SD3 diagnostics system can be used with SD2 Diagnostics software in the emulator mode.
The latter must be transferred to the SD3 tester through the basic SD3NET software and using the special SD2 Porting CD (Never use the old SD2 CD).
If you wish to run diagnostics in STANDALONE mode, follow the old SD2 instructions.
If, instead, you wish to run diagnostics using the SD2 software on the PC, you must first press the "START SD2 EMULATOR COMMUNICATIONS" button on the SD3 tester.
Be careful because in this mode, the only communications line possible between the PC and the SD3 is the RS232C serial line.
The SD3 Diagnostics System has an integrated multimeter that can take measurements in Volts (up to 200 V dc) and Ohms (up to 1 Mohm). This function can be selected from the SD3 Tester main menu.
The SD3 Diagnostics System has an integrated Standard Scantool OBD software. This system makes it possible to automatically check for systems able to support the service (engine, shift, ...). Once the control unit has been identified by the software, you can check some parameters/errors supplied by the system itself.
This function can be selected from the SD3 Tester main menu.
Power supply voltage
The SD3 requires a voltage between 8 and 16 V DC which is supplied either by the battery of the vehicle being tested or by the power supply provided with the product.
Installation instructions for the SD3
The SD3 does not require any installation; it only needs to be configured with the diagnostics software to be used. The downloaded software are stored in the non-volatile memory of the SD3 unit. The SD3 is equipped with a battery-powered clock which can be set and checked on the PC through a special software menu.
The figures below provide a diagram of the upper part (containing the power supply and diagnostics connectors), front part of the SD3 unit (containing the display, keypad and ON light) and the lower part (containing a flap which provides access to the connectors used to hook up an American PS2 keyboard for the PC, and two PCMCIA connectors used for any hardware expansions-e.g. flash expansions, Wireless card-through external boxes).
The ten keys at the bottom of the screen are used to input data (numbers/letters) into the diagnostics software.
The directional arrows and the TAB key feature function repetition if the key is held down continuously.
In all menus, hold down "Switch" and "Esc" for 4 seconds to reset the SD3 Tester software. This speeds up restarting the device if the software crashes (the Tester does not respond to keypad commands).
The top holds the following :
· The power button.
· One 25-pin connector for power and serial diagnostics lines (on the power button side);
· One 9-pin connector (male) for hook up to the PC (in the centre);
· One 9-pin connector (female) for Multimeter inlet.
· One Ethernet 10/100 Mbit connector.
· One USB connector.
· One Connector to hook up a CRT VGA monitor
To quickly check that the device is functional, connect the power supply (for example, with the cord
and the mains power supply), press the power button and check that the led lights up. Within 20/30 seconds
the start icon appears on the display.
The SD3 has a resettable fuse. If it is activated because of an internal fault or due to the external cabling,
wait a few minutes to allow it to reset. If, when you switch on the SD3, the display does not light up, wait a
few minutes and repeat the procedure.